Happy Tuesday to you! Thanks for checking out The Sweet Mash. I hope you had a great weekend and Monday and are enjoying your week thus far. :)
It's Tuesday and that means it's time to TONE IT UP. I thought an appropriate topic to cover would be working out while traveling. I travel quite a bit for my job (at least once a month for a week at a time) and never really know how the gym situation will be at the hotel. I have it worked out now that I do an Insanity video, yoga, pilates, FitnessBlender video. If I am pressed for time I do the 10 Minute Travel Workout (seen below).
When I first started traveling for work, I would just take those days off from working out. I felt that traveling was too hard on my body and I was too tired to workout. Well, nope, those are just excuses (let's be honest here). Once I started working out or doing at least a little something active when traveling: WOW, it changed the way I feel about working out while traveling. I have so much more energy when I stay active and I am so much more optimistic and more pleasant to be around. The energy working out gives me is totally worth not sleeping in 30 more minutes because that energy affects my whole day and makes the day great. Trust me. If you are not working out while traveling: try it!
Here are some suggestions for working out while traveling:
- Go for a walk or run in the morning. This will help you explore the city and be active all at once. To stay safe, it's preferable to bring one of your coworkers or friends with you.
- Check out the hotel gym and get in some cardio. Most hotels have a fitness center and can be easily accessed.
- Go on YouTube and do a workout video. There are MILLIONS of workout videos for FREE on YouTube. AND a lot of them are GREAT.
- Bring your own workout video on a USB drive. This is what I do with Insanity and just set it up on my laptop. Works out well that way. Don't feel bad about jumping and the people below you hearing. I've done it many of times at 5am and never gotten a complaint. I'm assuming the floors are thicker than we think. :)
- Don't have much time? Do the workout below: 10 Minute Travel Workout. You can just do 1 round or repeat again for 2, 3, 4 rounds. It'll get the muscles warm and the blood pumping.
10 Minute Travel Workout
- 1 minute jogging in place
- 1 minute push-ups (standard, wide, or on your knees)
- 1 minute jumping jacks
- 1 minute tricep dips (on a chair or on the floor)
- 1 minute high knees
- 1 minute lunges (30 seconds each leg)
- 1 minute butt kickers
- 1 minute squats (narrow, standard or wide stance)
- 1 minute jump rope (just jumping in place)
- 1 minute plank
- You can repeat if you've got more time! :)