Good beautiful Sunday morning! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. On Saturday I went for a jog at the park and then took Rocco on a doggie play date/hike and then what else did I do? I baked. Shocker, I know. :) I won't be sharing the recipe with you today but don't worry: you will see it soon. It involves peanut butter, pretzels and chocolate.
Since Austin is a med student that means the 6 letter word S-T-R-E-S-S is around the Skakle household quite frequently. I am in this to win it--so I try to help Austin with his stress as much as I can and also try to give him little surprises every now and then. I love to bring a smile to my handsome husband's face.
A couple of weeks ago I made Austin's favorite Strawberry Cake as a celebration of his first test of the semester being done. I made this cake a couple other times as a 2 layer cake but decided to adjust it for a 1-layer cake this time around. It was just as delicious and brought a happy smile to Austin's face. Mission. Accomplished. Good job wifey! :)
Austin's Strawberry Cake
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBL cornstarch
- Strawberry Topping: 2 cups chopped strawberries macerated in 1/4 cup sugar
- Cream Cheese Icing: 1/2 stick butter, 8 oz cream cheese, 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until creamy (about 4-5 minutes). Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack until completely cool.
- For the strawberries: combine chopped strawberries with sugar and let sit for 30 minutes. Spread that on top of cooled cake.
- For the icing: beat the cream cheese and softened butter in a mixer until creamy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Spread carefully on top of cake. Store in the fridge and enjoy!!!