Y'all. THESE brownies. THESE brownies are to-die for in every single way. They combine salty and sweet into one beautiful package and make you happy.
I was sitting at my lap top having a chocolate craving and trying to think exactly what I wanted to make. Brownies are always my go-to because they are one of my favorite treats. BUT I wanted something fancier and more challenging. And I have never made salted caramel frosting. Yesterday seemed like the right time! All of those thoughts were swirling in my head and somehow these brownies came about. :)
These brownies are rich and decadent and do have quite a few steps for brownies. Trust me on this: THEY ARE WORTH IT. And this salted caramel frosting, by the way, you could put that on a shoe and it would taste good. It's INSANE.
Brownies with Honey Roasted Caramel and Salted Caramel Frosting
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
Honey Roasted Caramel
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped honey roasted peanuts
Salted Caramel Frosting
- Half of honey-roasted caramel (without the nuts), reserved
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 pan.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in microwave. Add eggs and egg yolk, vanilla and both sugars. Stir well. Next, gently stir in the flour and salt. Place brownie batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. Do not overbake--as you want these fudgy.
- For the honey roasted caramel: Heat the heavy cream up in a saucepan until it is simmering. In a separate saucepan, over medium-high heat, place 1/2 of the sugar and melt. Once it is melted, slowly add the remaining sugar (tablespoon at a time) into the saucepan. Watch carefully and stir with a wooden spoon or fork. Stir in the corn syrup and boil until it reaches a caramel color. Make sure to stand back from the heat as the caramel can splash. Next, add the butter and salt. Stir until combined and add the warm cream. Keep over heat until it reaches a caramel color--about 2 minutes. Take off heat and let cool for 25 minutes.
- For the salted caramel frosting: take half of the caramel from above. Make sure it's cool and set aside. Beat butter and powdered sugar together until creamy--about 3 minutes. Add in the salt and beat for another minute. Slowly stir in the reserved caramel and beat until fluffy--2 minutes. Place in fridge until ready to frost the cooled brownies.
- To prepare the brownies: Take the reserved honey roasted caramel and stir in the chopped peanuts. Gently put the peanut/caramel mixture on top of the brownies and spread out. This is easiest when the brownies have cooled for about 30 minutes. Once completely cool, spread salted caramel frosting on top.
- ENJOY over and over again!
Question: Are you a salted caramel lover like me?