Well, we are all allowed to have flops, right? This past weekend I tried my hardest to make a Red Velvet Brownie Cake...and for some reason the more I tasted it: the more I did not like it. haha! Something about it was off and not worthy of sharing on The Sweet Mash.
So, I went back to the drawing board and created something WAY better and as simple as can be. You will probably have these ingredients in your pantry (or atleast I did). This Brown Sugar Toffee Pizza has a deliciously soft shortbread crust and a crunchy toffee topping. If you love brown sugar and toffee as much as I do, you will LOVE this.
It's a great recipe for Valentine's Day and would make a delicious dessert for your sweetie pie. I know my sweetie really liked it! :) Also, I made this in a 9 inch cake pan, but you can just as easily make it in a square pan (8 inch or 9 inch). I liked the look of a slice and wanted to make it a bit more elegant that way.
Brown Sugar Toffee Pizza
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 bag of crushed chocolate covered toffee bits (8 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease/flour your pan. I used a 9 inch cake pan but you can use a square pan as well.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy--about 4 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat another 2 minutes. Slowly add in the combined flour, salt and baking powder. Beat just until combined--be careful not to over work the batter.
- Press shortbread dough into bottom of the pan, spreading out to the corners evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. I think 20 minutes was perfect for me.
- Once you take the crust out of the oven, sprinkle the entire bag of toffee bits on top of crust. Place bake in oven for 1 minute to let toffee bits melt a bit.
- Let cool completely before slicing (if you are patient enough).